LBM thought it be fun to shine a lil spotlight on this weekend\’s SPRING ROMP, being held at DDC on April 2nd, and the eclectic group of bands we\’ve invited. And really, this lineup is all over the place – not just stylistically, but geographically, with bands making the trip up from Tianjin, Baoding, and Xinxiang. We decided to ask a few quick questions to each of the bands – Pumpkins, Lonely Leary, Division Control, Qianchuan Drugstore and Briefs Dryer. Enjoy and don\’t forget to pick up your presale tickets here!
Translated by Michael Cupoli
－ Pumpkins are no strangers to Beijing – how’s does it feel to return? Anything in particular you miss about Beijing? 南瓜乐队经常来北京，回北京感觉如何？你们想北京的什么方面？
In the past 3 or 4 years, Pumpkins have probably had the chance to come to Beijing once or twice a year. It\’s neither too many times nor too few. But with passing of time, we aren\’t sure if Pumpkins has a real following in Beijing or not. The shows feel aimless. Every time we come to Beijing, we are very happy to see our friends. Talking with them is very important to us.
– You guys have been meeting quite a few of your idols in the past years – from recording in Berlin and meeting Marky Ramone, to even some acts like Mike Watt & The Missingmen swinging through Xinxiang (just last week) – how does it feel to meet more and more of rock and roll royalty? 这几年你们见过好多你们的偶像，在柏林录音了，见过Marky Ramone，以及Mike Watt & The Missingmen上周来过新乡演出，你们越来越成为摇滚大牌感觉如何？
Getting to meet some rock legends is really something to be grateful for. Getting to play on the same stage as them is amazing. It makes you feels as if you are becoming part of history, but then anxiety follows. We are growing older with them. They continue to be legendary, however, we continue to be boring.
– Do you believe punk in cities like Beijing and Shanghai is becoming irrelevant? Does being a punk band in a smaller city like Xinxiang have more importance in the long run? 你们觉得北京和上海的朋克没有以前重要吗？觉得在一个小一些的城市，例如新乡，有一只朋克乐队的长期更重要吗？
The inclusivity of big cities should make most punk bands feel a bit embarrassed . Casting aside the market is easy. You can be in Beijing or Shanghai, but most bands don\’t have anything to show for it. Isn\’t it sad? In some small cities, take Xinxiang for example, the existence of a punk band doesn\’t actually have much meaning. We still live in the desert, but we still want to try the best we can to do the things that we want to and have later generations be able to see it.
– What’s on the horizon for Pumpkins?南瓜乐队有什么未来的计划？
Pumpkins has a small Taiwan tour in May. After we get back, we want to start working on our new album, which includes recording, promotion, and touring. In the future, we are interesting in looking for a label to work with. We hope we are professional enough of taking care of things related to the band.
Translated by Michael Cupoli
– How’s it feel to be apart of a major label now? Is it a constant rotation of drugs, parties, and girls? 你们签约兵马司厂牌感觉如何？你们现在每出去派对，吸毒，以及女朋友们太多了吗？
Before recording the album, almost everything is the same as before we got signed. However, we are happy to have more shows on the weekends. We are afraid of parities, don\’t use drugs, and failures with girls. We are more interested in finding the 10 yuan an hour practice room near Andingmen that Vice once wrote about.
– There’s a frantic anxiousness to your music and stage presence that’s simply infectious? Where does that come from? 你们的音乐特别焦急，还有你们的演出会吸引很多人，你觉得这是为什么？
The anxiousness comes from life experiences. Normally, we are very quiet people, so the anxiety and hate of dealing with other people comes pouring out into the music. There is a fear of going on stage and playing. Perhaps this feeling while performing is overpowering. Now we are already different from how we were before. We finish every show within half an hour and every song is close to 200 BPM. We have to be prepared and in control. Hopefully, this comes across well.
– You hit the studio this month to record your debut – what are your expectations going into the studio? When can we expect the release? 你们本月录音了第一张专辑，去录音棚以前都有什么期望？这张专辑什么要发行？
We have very, very little experience being in a recording studio, so we tried hard to think of everything beforehand and solve all the problems that might occur during the recording. Although the actual recording process is not as complicated as we actually thought, we hope to make very direct. We want people to listen to it and not be annoyed by it or tired with it. Also, we hope, besides people\’s previous impression of the rush of energy, quickness and roughness, there is more detailed song writing, lyrics, and a complete concept to it that will give everyone a surprise.
Welcome back Division Control! I‘ve seen your name pop up a lot on bills here in Beijing – how has the reception been thus far? Any special moments you can recall? 欢迎回来Division Control! 我看到你们的名字经常出现在北京不少演出节目单上，请问反响怎样？有没有什么特别的时刻？
你们好 我们是DIVISION CONTROL,是的我们经常往北京跑，这个城市的噪音太多了让我们再来增加一些吧，首都人民都很欢迎我们就像我们喜欢北京的各种好吃的一样哈哈，特别的时刻太多了总能遇到路上特别堵、地铁特别挤、空气特别危险哈哈
How does it feel to have Beijing next door? How does it affect the music scene? 去北京周边的城市演出效果怎么样？
Besides all the tourist crap – what are the best spots (bars, restaurants) to hit up in Tianjin? What’s your typical weekend？除了常规旅游景点外，天津有哪些酒吧和餐厅值得去的？对于你，一个典型的周末是怎么度过的？
天津有13CLUB，JOIN YOUNG艺术空间，派现场，智慧山艺术中心这些LIVEHOUSE，五大道的THE PRESSROOM 26th是近来比较热闹的有现场爵士乐演出的酒吧，但是一般周末我们会以排练为主，偶尔会挑选一些有特色的餐厅和朋友聚会
Do you think it’s possible to ride a MoBike to Tianjin? 你觉得有可能（从北京）骑摩拜单车去天津吗？
First off, what’s the meaning behind by name? 首先，你们乐队名字背后有什么含义？
You guys hail from the Central Academy of Fine Arts in Beijing, right? How’s that going? What are you all studying there? 你们是中央美术学院的学生，在校的学习怎么样？你们学的是什么专业？
So I picked you guys based off of your one song on the Super Street Fighter Young Guns’ Compilation – ‘Chinatown’. Pretty innocuous until midway through when the song becomes a sharp critique. Can you expand on the meaning behind the song? 我在一个乐队现场比赛中，听了你们的‘Chinatown’，开始的节奏很平和，但到了中间就开始变的尖锐和强烈。能说明一下这首歌想表达的情感吗？
I’m a sucker for trumpets! It really adds a whole other dimension to your music. How and when did the trumpet come into play? 我是个小号迷。小号在你们的音乐中真的起到了非常好的效果，是怎么想到要在你们的音乐中运用小号的呢？
– How would you describe Baoding? 你们如何评价保定？
Baoding is an old city, beautiful, hometown 😀 保定是个好地方
– How does one go about starting a band in Baoding? What’s the scene like? Is there a lot of commuting to nearby cities? 你们是如何开始你们的乐队的？保定的现场音乐情况如何？是不是需要经常去其它城市演出？
We were all just students, playing bands from school, but we know each other, then about one and a half years ago we started to play together and try to make something new. Now in Baoding we have just one to two livehouses, but there are many live shows and some really good bands. We went to Shijiazhuang a couple of times, and bands from ohter cities of Hebei comes too. It\’s our first show in Beijing, so we\’re glad to receive the invitation from LiveBeijingMusic.
– I’m hearing a lot of influences in your demos? What did you guys grow up on? How would you describe yourself to listeners? 我听到你们的歌曲里面有很多不一样的元素？你们的音乐是受什么样的背景／影响？你们如何评论自己
Honestly we are still trying different ways to make music, you can find different emotions in our songs,and we want to tell stories from everyone\’s normal life, all based on what we know and what we can make. We don\’t know how to describe ourselves now, time will give us the answer.
– What are some other bands that Beijing is missing out on? 你们觉得北京缺少什么样的乐队？
Rock music is an \’improted goods\’ for Chinese, even in the capital city, we would like to see more spirit of innovation, that is also what we need.